Black-Bean Burger Recipe
Allow about 40 minutes extra to prepare the grains if you are making this recipe from start to finish in one day.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Plant Based
Main Ingredient: Vegetables
Serves: 2 Scale Update
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice rinsed & drained (≈3⁄4 cup cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄4 onion chopped (≈1⁄4 cup)
- 1⁄4 green capsicum or red, chopped (≈1⁄4 cup)
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice plus more for serving
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 avocado
- 2 sandwich buns wholemeal
- 1⁄4 tomato (optional), sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Line a baking sheet.
- PREPARE GRAINS
- Bring rice and 1/2 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool; fluff rice with a fork.
- MAKE PATTIES
- Sauté corn, onions, capsicum, jalapenos (if using), and 1 1/2 teaspoons of chilli powder in a pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time as needed, to keep vegetables from sticking to the pan. (Vegetables will not be completely tender.)
- Using a fork, mash drained beans and cooked rice in a large bow until nearly smooth. Add cooked vegetables, oats, coriander, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well, then taste and adjust seasoning.
- Form burger mixture into patties.
- BAKE BURGERS
- Bake patties on prepared baking sheet until lightly browned and heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast buns.
- ASSEMBLE & SERVE
- Mash avocado in a bowl with remaining chilli powder. Serve burgers on toasted buns, with patties topped with mashed avocado and tomatoes, if desired. Serve with an additional squeeze of lime , green salad leaves or chopped coriander, if you’d like.
- Store any leftover burgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Leave a Comment