African Peanut Stew
African Peanut Stew
Creamy, satisfying, and lightly spicy; peanut butter and sweet potato are a match made in vegan heaven!
Source: JK Wellness and Nutrition
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 55 min
Serves: 6 Scale Update
- 1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Sweet onion (medium, chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 large red capsicum (diced)
- 1 medium jalapeño (seeded and diced (optional))
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
- 1 can diced tomatoes canned (with their juices)
- 1 pinch sea salt fine (freshly ground, to taste)
- 1 dash black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter smooth (natural)
- 4 cup vegetable stock/broth low sodium (plus more as needed)
- 1 1⁄2 tsp chilli powder
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cup baby spinach (or torn kale leaves)
- 6 sprig coriander (Fresh; or parsley leaves, for serving)
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts roasted ( for serving)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the capsicum, jalapeño (if using), sweet potato, and tomatoes with their juices. Raise the heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes more. Season the vegetables with salt and black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and 1 cup of the vegetable broth until no clumps remain. Stir the mixture into the vegetables along with the remaining 3 cups broth, chilli powder, and the cayenne (if using).
- Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork-tender.
- Stir in the chickpeas and spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Ladle the stew into bowls (serve with or without rice) and garnish with coriander and roasted peanuts.
Amount Per Serving (6)
- Calories: 393
- Protein: 15.8 g
- Sugar: 10.9 g
- Carbohydrate: 46 g
- Fat: 16.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 564 mg
- Fiber: 11.8 g
Leave a Comment